We see more than just the average fender-bender in our line of business. Every once in a while, insurers come across a story that is too wacky to be true – until it is!
Whether as a result of bad luck or wildly unpredictable circumstances, people rely on their insurance to help when things go wrong. And while you cannot accident-proof your life, you can protect your home, car and other belongings with the right insurance.
Take a look at some of our favorite funny-but-true stories about insurance claims gone wrong.
The Top 20 Funny Insurance Claim Stories
This collection of tales comes from insurers and insureds worldwide, but that does not mean we don’t have some funny stories of our own from local residents in St. Charles. That’s a story for another day.
The 20 most memorable claims we have hear about, include:
- A dog named Skyler accidentally turned the stove on when he reached for a one-year-old’s birthday cake that was sitting on the burner. Instead of eating the cake, he set it on fire. Fortunately, no humans or dogs were injured.
- While driving on country roads in a fancy red sportscar, one man attempted to get a herd of goats out of the middle of the road by honking at them – which startled the goats so much they jumped on top of the car! One even battered his horns on the driver’s side door. Needless to say, this driver was thankful for carrying comprehensive coverage on his Auto Insurance
- A motivational speaker had to get their insurance company involved when a volunteer from their audience sustained injuries, after being encouraged by the speaker to break a board with their hands.
- Southerners know that snakes love cool, dark places. In fact, one Texas family had to have a rattlesnake removed from their plumbing after they saw its head peak out of the toilet! Shockingly, another 23 rattlesnakes were discovered under the home and around the plumbing system.
- Two brothers were distraught when their family’s $1.1K claim for a new 60” smart TV was denied, after an interactive video game caused one of the brothers to launch his handheld controller into the screen at the speed of a fast pitch.
- One Homeowner’s Insurance claim was denied when the policyholder said the damages from turning her hardwood floor into a bowling alley were the result of her floor not being “hard enough.”
- Wine enthusiasts know that a rare, properly aged bottle of wine can fetch for a pretty penny. When a sewage pipe backed up and overflowed, one homeowner filed a claim for wine in the basement cellar, which had been spoiled by heat from the damages. Talk about an un-Happy Hour.
- After a month-long vacation in Greece, one couple was greeted with a less-than-ideal welcome home. The power went out at some point on their trip, causing all the contents of their upright freezer to defrost, coagulate and spill out onto the garage floor. This tale gets worse: The couple’s home was infested with mice scavenging for food, and had to be exterminated before repairs could be made.
- Ever thought about Wedding Insurance? When a bride’s dress caught on fire at her destination wedding, her husband threw her into the ocean to put out the fire.
- While vacationing in Australia, one man filed a claim after his car door was kicked in by a wild camel. Fortunately, his claim was approved because he had video evidence to prove he wasn’t making it up.
- On a particularly sunny day, one woman decided to take her pricey, brand-new drone on a test ride. She turned away mid-flight to avoid the glare of the sun. When she looked back, her unmanned drone had vanished into thin air.
- One family was in for a huge surprise when they saw a cluster of bats flying from their 150-year-old farmhouse. As it turns out, the attic was infested and coated in almost two feet of bat poop. Thank goodness for Homeowner’s Insurance, right?
- A hunter in southwest Missouri polished his prized 4WD pickup truck with a carnauba car wax that had a distinct banana scent. When he returned from a hunting trip, he found a group of horses licking his truck. As he got closer, he noticed the truck was also covered in bite marks!
- After buying a brand-new pair of skis for her trip to the Alpines, one woman filed a Travel Insurance claim because there was hardly any snow on the ground when she arrived. Pretty wacky, right?
- Once upon a time, an insured filed a claim saying their boat was stolen from a closed garage. The problem? The boat was 30 feet long, and the garage was only 24 feet. Instead of having their claim paid out, they received a fine.
- Two children buried their parents’ video camera in the sand during a family beach vacation. Unfortunately, they couldn’t remember where they put it!
- One woman filed an insurance claim after a goose swallowed her diamond ring. She searched through its droppings for a few weeks until the goose flew away and never did find the ring. Yikes!
- Despite filing a $10K claim for a lost fur coat, one woman’s plans were foiled when the coat was found sitting in storage with her name monogrammed on the inside – along with a $1K receipt for the coat.
- Celebrities, models and athletes are known to take out insurance policies on their body parts to help protect their signature features. Similarly, one food critic decided to insure his taste buds for $393K! Guess he won’t be missing a day on-the-job.
- One woman discovered a colorful mess after her dog accidentally dipped its tail in an open can of paint – and then proceeded to shake and wag paint drippings all over the house! Lesson learned: two-legged painters are better than the four-legged variety.
Crazy and Unexpected Damages? We Can Help.
The agents at Webb Insurance in St. Charles are here to help you find the humor in life’s unpredictable events. As an independent broker, we represent dozens of top-rated companies in the insurance industry to help ensure you get the coverage you need. Webb Insurance is also licensed to provide coverage anywhere in the United States.